(Chicago, IL/ Charlottesville, VA) May 14, 2012 – The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the JAMA Network (www.jamanetwork.com) on SCM6, the natively semantic online hosting platform from Silverchair Information Systems (Silverchair). The JAMA Network brings together the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), along with the AMA’s nine Archives specialty journals and related resources, to create a new user-centered, semantically integrated digital portfolio.
“In creating the JAMA Network, our aspiration is to seamlessly integrate the wide array of knowledge we deliver into an intuitive, user-centric experience,” said Dr. Howard Bauchner, JAMA Editor in Chief. “Silverchair’s SCM6 technology allows us to create precise, dynamic relationships between articles, evidence, audio and video, teaching tools, and other highly relevant information resources. The JAMA Network on SCM6 is an environment that responds to each user’s needs with far more efficient knowledge discovery and presentation than has previously been possible.”
Features of the new JAMA Network include:
• User-centered design – Provides users with an intuitive interface and highlights key JAMA Network resources, including CME, Online First articles, and multimedia.
• Content in context – Surfaces additionally, highly relevant articles and other resources from across all the publications in the JAMA Network and beyond.
• Mobile optimization – The JAMA Network is optimized for reading on mobile devices.
• Semantic search – Provides better results by normalizing synonyms, alternate spellings, acronyms, and jargon and by connecting closely related concepts.
• Integrated e-commerce – New custom built JAMA Network store streamlines the purchase of subscriptions, CME, articles, and other resources.
• Integrated CME – Available directly on relevant articles as well as via a redeveloped CME section.
• Multimedia – Easy to locate multimedia landing page displayed across the JAMA Network combined with streaming videos viewable within the article environment.
• Semantic Collections – Users from all fields of medicine will find semantically generated topic collections that combine related content from across the Network.
“The JAMA Network grew out of our belief that the user – AMA members, non-member physicians around the world, medical students, other healthcare professionals, and patients and caregivers – should be at the center how we deliver information,” said Betsy Jones, JAMA’s Publisher. “We worked closely with Silverchair to develop a resource that would put the user first, using semantic technology to deliver dynamic content relationships, enable site personalization, and ultimately to put the right information in front of the right person at the right time in order to improve health outcomes.”
“Launching the JAMA Network on SCM6 is a galvanizing milestone for Silverchair,” said Silverchair CEO Thane Kerner. “Semantic technology is frankly a pretty wonky concept; it engenders a lot of theoretical discussion in the publishing community, and stimulates plenty of buzz-word compliant brochures. But the JAMA Network—which is built on the natively semantic SCM6—is a compelling real-world application of semantic theory. It’s not about getting data enriched or building triples. It’s about providing real value to users by leveraging those deep technologies to make information flow more precise and comprehensive.”
To explore the JAMA Network visit: www.jamanetwork.com
About the JAMA Network and the AMA:
Building on a tradition of editorial excellence, The JAMA Network brings JAMA, one of the most-cited and most recognized journals in the world, together with the 9 specialty Archives Journals to offer enhanced access to the research, reviews, and perspectives shaping the future of medicine. Through a variety of innovative tools, The JAMA Network provides the insights that matter most to medical research and practice.
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the largest association of physicians in the United States. Since 1847, the AMA has had one mission: to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health. Today, the core strategy used to carry out this mission is our concerted effort to help doctors help patients. We do this by uniting physicians nationwide to work on the most important professional and public health issues. Additional information is available at: www.ama-assn.org
About Silverchair Information Systems:
Founded in 1993, Silverchair delivers advanced semantic technologies, publishing platforms, and e-learning solutions to scientific, technical, and medical publishers, professional societies, and the federal government. Inc. Magazine ranked Silverchair as one of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies in 2011. This past January, the company received Virginia’s 2012 Governor’s Award for Science Innovation. Silverchair is headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. Additional information is available at www.silverchair.com.