The OpportunityIn a company that prides itself on delivering best-in-class customer service and support the DevOps Engineer will facilitate the collaboration between operations and development engineers throughout the entire service lifecycle for our continuous delivery platform. As a member of the DevOps team, you will be empowered to build mechanisms to help reduce system complexities. This position will report directly to the Director of Dev &Technical Operations, and contribute to the ongoing development of a culture of continuous improvement and high-quality service.
Silverchair is looking for a dedicated individual to execute the Silverchair application release management process including planning, builds, deployments, infrastructure management, automation of processes, and troubleshooting of high traffic client platform. This individual will maintain and build application development environments, while collaborating with teams across the organization to ensure the application is available for production operations and project deliveries.
What We DoSilverchair is a product development partner to the Scientific, Technical and Medical scholarly and professional publishing industries. What that really means is we use and create advanced technologies to connect doctors, scientists, and researchers to the information they need to keep up with cutting edge research, diagnose complex conditions, or survey the literature within thousands of topic areas. Silverchair facilitates this activity by developing incredibly dynamic online tools and applications.
How We Do ItOver the last 21 years, we have learned a lot – from both failures and successes. We maintain a progressive mindset and aim to create the knowledge products of the future – and we expect the same mindset from our carefully selected team of professionals – be progressive, be excellent, and learn constantly.
What You Will Be Doing• Develop scripts and applications to automate system deployment, scaling and infrastructure
• Build or enhance tools to improve developer productivity, such as automated assignment of errors found in logs or automated assignment of build failures
• Build or enhance governance tools to ensure clean change management of code base and infrastructure
• Maintain and evolve the continuous Integration environment
• Interact with Development, QA and Operations teams
• Provide production support for applications and infrastructure.
• Help drive strategic improvements in systems, processes, and practices
• Work with key members of the architect team to define and drive technical strategy and architectural direction
• Stay current on advancements in infrastructure landscape and influence adoption across enterprise
• Support existing IT staff in growth of their DevOps skills and build a culture of automation
What You Need to Bring• Experience deploying complex production applications
• Experience with the command line, shell scripting, automation of common tasks, and configuration of systems monitoring tools
• Experience with Python/Ruby/PowerShell or similar scripting languages
• Ability and eagerness to quickly learn new tools and technologies
• Strong organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Understanding of Continuous Integration such as Jenkins, Hudson
• Familiarity with distributed source control systems like Git/Mercurial
It Would Be Great If You Had Experience In• Experience with Microsoft web technologies; Web and app server administration a plus
• Experience working within an Agile Software Development Lifecycle
• Familiarity with cloud SaaS offerings such as AWS a plus
• Familiarity with configuration management systems (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Salt\) a plus