The OpportunityIn a company that prides itself on delivering best-in-class customer service and support, the Tier 3 Software Support Engineer plays a crucial role, interacting daily with clients, development teams, and a variety of internal parties, including project managers, business analysts and team leads. This position will report directly to the Manager of Client Services and contribute to the ongoing development of a culture of continuous improvement and high-quality service.
Silverchair is looking for a dedicated and flexible individual to handle escalated support issues that come in from customer generated support tickets. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of client support, excellent written and oral communication skills and SQL Server Database scripting. This individual must be well organized, able to work with minimal supervision, and display a high level of professionalism. This individual must be able to work with highly technical people and be able to translate the information into easy speak for our end users.
What We DoSilverchair is a product development partner to the Scientific, Technical and Medical scholarly and professional publishing industries. What that really means is we use and create advanced technologies to connect doctors, scientists, and researchers to the information they need to keep up with cutting edge research, diagnose complex conditions, or survey the literature within thousands of topic areas. Silverchair facilitates this activity by developing incredibly dynamic online tools and applications.
How We Do ItOver the last 21 years, we have learned a lot – from both failures and successes. We maintain a progressive mindset and aim to create the knowledge products of the future – and we expect the same mindset from our carefully selected team of professionals – be progressive, be excellent, and learn constantly.
What You Will Be Doing
- Identify root cause and scope of issues logged in both Tier 2 setting from clients, as well as advanced issues promoted from Tier 2 client services.
- Coordinate with internal teams for the purpose of gathering information on issues, or communicating failure situations.
- Serve the needs of all clients, both internal and external, for the purpose of building, and maintaining a top notch digital publishing platform.
- Write efficient one-off scripts for escalation and execution in a live production environment.
- Write bug fixes for integration in a fast paced agile environment.
- Create tools to for use by Tier 2 to facilitate diagnosis and/or resolution of recurring or thematic problems.
- Regularly contribute documentation on advanced systems diagnosis. Prepare and deliver training to Tier 2 team on relevant topics to advance ticket velocity
What You Need to Bring
- Strong communication skills, and ability to match speech with the technical understanding of the audience
- Speak at a highly technical level and communicate to development teams in a way that will allow them to hit the ground running on urgent issues
- “Decode” problems into understandable terms when communicating and coordinating with clients, as well as training team members
- Strong focus on detail when writing or reviewing bug reports, and a forward thinking approach that considers all scenarios when creating acceptance criteria or developer directives
- Deep understanding of the business and an ability to discern between tech debt, bugs, and change requests
- Recognize patterns in chaotic data sets and identify possible contributing factors or causes of system failure
- Mindset that approaches a problem from all angles, especially for the purpose of identifying workarounds to bugs that would otherwise halt client work-flow
- Quickly decipher exception reports and debug source code to identify points of failure as part of root cause analysis
- Write bug fixes and coordinate with other development teams for review, testing, and escalation of scripts and code changes
- Ability to write SQL server database scripting
- Database querying and management: Transact-SQL
- Source code version control: Mercurial/Git