The OpportunitySilverchair’s Architecture team is charged to deliver an enterprise class technical architecture to enable delivery of Silverchair’s full array of products to enable STM Publishers to create and make differentiated knowledge products and services.
The Architect is a hands-on role within our team – you must be able to understand what is needed for the business, craft a technical architecture that meets or exceeds those needs, and work directly with the engineering team to bring the architecture to life in code.
The role requires deep technical aptitude and excellent cross-functional collaboration. Leading through influence with a consultative and collaborative approach to establishing and driving creative solutions, architecting them and guiding the implementation.
What We DoSilverchair is a product development partner to the Scientific, Technical and Medical scholarly publishing industry. What that really means is we use and create advanced technologies to connect doctors, scientists, and researchers to the information and content they need to keep up with cutting edge research, diagnose complex conditions, or surveying the literature within thousands of topic areas. Silverchair facilitates this scholarly activity by developing incredibly dynamic online tools and applications.
How We Do ItOver the last 21 years, we have learned a lot – from both failures and successes. We maintain a progressive mindset and aim to create the knowledge products of the future – and we expect the same mindset from our carefully selected team of professionals – be progressive, be excellent, and learn constantly.
What You Will Be Doing
- Team closely with the Platform Strategy, Client Implementations, Architecture, Development and Technical Operations teams to evolve the application features in the Silverchair SCM Platform
- Evaluate, assess and define approach for application architecture for Silverchair’s product and client solutions
- Ensure technical nonfunctional requirements, including security, performance, scalability, and reliability, get addressed in addition to the business’ functional requirements
- Create and lead data governance policy, process and procedures to support Silverchair’s application development platform
- Utilize Experience with abstracting general principles, driving conceptual design and logical design, and translating into physical implementation
- Ensure solution designs are consistent and adhere to client and platform roadmaps, blueprints, standards, and best practices by participating in application delivery and governance across SDLC phases
What You Need to Bring
- BS / MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 8+ years architecting/designing/implementing high-scale, high-performance, and distributed systems
- Proven track record building enterprise class solutions to support web and search based applications with .Net or Java technologies
- In-depth experience creating robust web application user interfaces with .Net, Java Script, HTML5
- Experience creating SOA based architectures with .Net and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Understanding of content management systems and life cycles
- Experience creating and defining XML schemas and transformations
- Experience designing and operating solutions with relational and No SQL Databases
- Experience documenting system architectures models in Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Applied knowledge in an iterative development environment employing Agile/Scrum/XP combined with DevOps
It Would Be Great If You Brought These
- Proven experience with creating software products and SaaS solutions
- Experience with architecture frameworks such as Zachman or TOGAF
- Familiarity with XML formats for publication of journals and books with NLM, JATS, and or BITS
- Previous experience with search solutions such as SOLR or Elastic Search
- History of delivering secure solutions requiring industry or governmental compliance in such industries as Healthcare or Financial
- Understanding of integration approaches used for publication services such as PubMed, EPUB
- Experience working with Structured and Non-structure data and creating XML content transformation workflows to support conversion and data acquisition activities
- Experience working with large variety data sets of XML content
- Experience with deployment of Windows and Linux servers in a virtualized / cloud environment
- In-depth knowledge designing data ETL application frameworks using industry toolsets to support data migrations and integrations