The OpportunityAs a senior systems engineer at Silverchair, you will have the opportunity to use your technical leadership and expertise to develop and enhance the technical environment that creates the backbone of Silverchair’s platform. A qualified Senior Systems Engineer will possess an extensive knowledge of technical hardware and networked servers and will be an expert in maintaining and building out system environments for technical problem solving.
What We DoSilverchair is a product development partner to the Scientific, Technical and Medical scholarly publishing industry. What that really means is we use and create advanced technologies to connect doctors, scientists, and researchers to the information and content they need to keep up with cutting edge research, diagnose complex conditions, or surveying the literature within thousands of topic areas. Silverchair facilitates this scholarly activity by developing incredibly dynamic online tools and applications.
How We Do ItOver the last 21 years, we have learned a lot – from both failures and successes. We maintain a progressive mindset and aim to create the knowledge products of the future – and we expect the same mindset from our carefully selected team of professionals – be progressive, be excellent, and learn constantly.
What You Will Be Doing
- Acquire, configure, support and maintain development, test and production servers, including after-hours support and monitoring server usage and up-time
- Provide input to the strategic direction of Tech and Dev Ops, directly influencing the direction in new and existing systems as well as upcoming integration efforts with new acquisitions
- Provide technical and procedural direction to the company for the actual implementation of the network servers used, as well as interface with internal users, development colleagues, and other technical colleagues
- Provide direction in complex problem solving situations and participate in direct interaction with internal staff as required
- Maintain access privileges and account groups throughout infrastructure
- Design implement and maintain a consistent backup and disaster recovery plan
- Collaborate with operations, SQA and third party data centers to provide technical direction on network topologies, server configurations, hardware / software deployments, firewall configurations and other administrative tasks related to the staging and maintenance of company development testing, and production servers
- Ensure timely and effective delivery of hardware upgrades, network upgrades, and new configurations
- Document technical requirements, develop and oversee project plans and implement change control procedures. Facilitate design sessions and architectural reviews. Participate in technical advisory roles as required
- Coordinate and / or perform additions and changes to network hardware and operation systems and attached devices; includes investigation, analysis, recommendation, configuration, installation, and testing of new network hardware and software
What You Need to Bring
- S. or M.S. in Computer Science or similar technical degree or 5 years relevant experience
- 5+ years experience as a Systems Engineer
- Ability and eagerness to quickly learn new tools and technologies
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience maintaining Microsoft Windows server operating systems
It would be Great if you brought these
- Experience with Microsoft web technologies; Web and app server administration a plus
- Familiarity with cloud LaaS OFFERINGS SUCH AS AWS A PLUS
- Familiarity with configuration management systems (e.g. Chef, Salt, Puppet) a plus