The OpportunityWe are looking for someone who is confident and experienced as a communicator, a team-leader and capable of using his/her extensive leadership and management expertise to coordinate and manage the project management function (and related internal operations) for optimal efficiency and effectiveness. This role will be a confidant and advisor to the Chief Operations Officer.
This is an opportunity to play an impactful role within a growing and exciting company. As Senior Director of Portfolio Management and Delivery, your work will impact the success of our projects through effective planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling activities on an ongoing basis. The role demands a high level of experience, confidence and charisma since you will be working with a broad array of client representatives, program managers, project managers, executives and other Silverchair managers.
What We DoSilverchair is a product development partner to the scholarly and professional publishing industries. What that really means is we use and create advanced technologies to connect doctors, scientists, and researchers to the information they need to keep up with cutting edge research, diagnose complex conditions, or survey the literature within thousands of topic areas. Silverchair facilitates this activity by developing incredibly dynamic online tools and applications.
How We Do ItOver the last 21 years, we have learned a lot – from both failures and successes. We maintain a progressive mindset and aim to create the knowledge products of the future – and we expect the same mindset from our carefully selected team of professionals – be progressive, be excellent, and learn constantly.
What You Will Be Doing
- Demonstrate knowledge of core project and program management essentials (scheduling, budget management, reporting, meeting management, issue/risk mitigation, etc.)
- Perform ongoing analyses of the operational infrastructure and implement actions that support organizational growth and stability
- Working with the associate director of Project Management, direct, manage, train, and coach project and program managers on essential knowledge, skills, and processes
- Working with the director of the PMO, for Silverchair’s portfolio of projects, monitor and report status (health, forecast, issues, risks, etc.) and recommend scope, schedule, cost or resource adjustments; connect short-term demands to long-term implications to stakeholders at all levels including Executive
- Identify discrete but similar or duplicative activities and bring owners together to negotiate solution efficiencies and synergies
- Lead team-to-team communication and coordination on specific topics
What You Need to Bring
- Significant experience leading and managing the Project Management function, including overseeing project and program managers responsible for delivering large programs / projects ($1M+)
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Software Development Lifecycle experience for online products
- Ability to manage change, influence colleagues at all levels, and gain alignment between colleague expectations and understanding while working in a matrixed organization
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Management of geographically diverse team
- Management of large project budgets ($1M+), as a project manager and as a program manager
- Experience with resource planning, balancing, and staffing need identification through leadership of a program management office
- Comfort in navigating through ambiguity
- Experience with delivery in a SaaS model
- Knowledge/experience in scholarly or professional publishing